Vaccination Records for Kids

Keeping up-to-date immunization records for your family, especially your children, is important. You need your children's immunization records to register them for school, athletic teams, and summer camps or to travel. If you need official copies of immunization records for your child, or if you need to update your personal records, start by checking with your child's doctor or the Department of Health.


If your child's vaccination records cannot be located or are incomplete, your child is considered susceptible to disease and should be vaccinated (or revaccinated) against vaccine-preventable diseases. Children can have their blood tested for antibodies to determine their immunity to certain diseases. In some cases, doctors may prefer to revaccinate your child for best protection. It is safe for your child to be vaccinated even if he already received that vaccine. Talk to your child's doctor to determine what vaccines your children need to protect them against disease and keep them healthy.

Immunizations Required for School Attendance
North Carolina Law requires children to be vaccinated for certain diseases before entering school.  NCGS 130Adetails the requirement for certification of immunizations and Kindergarten Health Assessments.  It also specifies that schools must exclude students who have not provided this information within 30 calendar days of enrollment.  Excerpts from this statute are listed here:  NCGS 130A Immunization & Kindergarten Health Assessment.

Please refer to the NC Immunization Branch for specific vaccine requirements:


News and Updates Regarding Immunizations:

Buncombe County Dept. of Health Immunizations:

Other Immunizations

North Carolina General Statute 115C-47 (excerpt below) requires that school systems provide all parents with information regarding immunization standards for Meningitis and Influenza immunization.  We must also provide information to parents of all girls 5th through 12th grade regarding HPV or human papillomavirus.

The following are links to this information provided at
Paper copies will be available at schools upon request.
Informative video: 

HPV (Human Papillomavirus)

NCGS 115C-47: (51) To Ensure that Schools Provide Information Concerning Cervical Cancer, Cervical Dysplasia, Human Papillomavirus, and the Vaccines Available to Prevent These Diseases. – Local boards of education shall ensure that schools provide parents and guardians with information about cervical cancer, cervical dysplasia, human papillomavirus, and the vaccines available to prevent these diseases. This information shall be provided at the beginning of the school year to parents of children entering grades five through 12. This information shall include the causes and symptoms of these diseases, how they are transmitted, how they may be prevented by vaccination, including the benefits and possible side effects of vaccination, and places parents and guardians may obtain additional information and vaccinations for their children.

Immunizations Recommended for College/University Students*
North Carolina law requires students of public, private, or religious college or universities to receive certain immunizations.  There are some exceptions to this law.  Click here for more information:
There are also other vaccines that are recommended, but not required, for college students.  These vaccines offer protection against diseases they are more likely to encounter in the college setting as well as diseases that are more common or can cause more severe disease in adults. These vaccines protect against:
  • Meningococcal Disease (meningitis) -- routine vaccine  for adolescents, most effective when given at 11 or 12 years of age, with a booster dose at 16 years
  • Pneumococcal Disease
  • Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
  • Influenza
  • Hepatitis A
  • Varicella (chickenpox)

*Some colleges/universities may have additional vaccine entry requirements for their campuses. 


If your child has a religious or medical exemption from being immunized, they must have a note about this on file at their school. The medical exemption can be obtained from your child’s physician and must be approved by the state. The religious exemption must be for a “bona fide religious belief” and is written by the parent.


If your child has not been fully vaccinated, he may not be allowed to attend school if an outbreak of a disease that can be prevented by a vaccine occurs. This exclusion from school would occur if there is concern that your child will be exposed to the disease or expose others during the time when the disease can be spread. Depending on the outbreak, this exclusion could last up to 21 days.

   Click here for more information:
Frequently Asked Questions
 Why does my child need immunizations?

Immunizations are very important to protect your child from diseases. Germs that cause vaccine-preventable diseases and death still exist and can be passed on to an un-vaccinated child or adult.

Where can my child get immunized?

You can get your child immunized at their doctor’s office or at the Immunization Clinic of the Buncombe County Department of Health.


What would happen if we stopped immunizations?

What parents need to know about vaccines and immunizations:

Buncombe County Schools is in the process of reviewing its website to ensure compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.